Gwinnett hotel temporarily evacuated when candle, pizza box cause fire

0

Gwinnett hotel temporarily evacuated when candle, pizza box cause fire

View CaptionHide Caption
Gwinnett County Fire Department
Guests at WTL Extended Stay hotel in Norcross were temporarily evacuated after a candle and a pizza box started a fire early Sunday morning, Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services said.

More than 40 hotel guests were temporarily evacuated after a candle and a pizza box started a fire in a guest’s room early Sunday morning, Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services said.

Firefighters responded to the WTL Extended Stay hotel in Norcross at 3:23 a.m. The occupant of the room alerted a manager to the fire, and the manager called 911. 

There was some smoke coming out of the room’s window when firefighters arrived, said Capt. Tommy Rutledge, a spokesman for Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. The fire was contained to one room, but there was extensive damage to the space. Two other adjoining rooms had smoke damage.

Guests were allowed to return to their rooms around 5:15 a.m.

Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Authorities said it would help alleviate traffic in the area.
View Comments 0

Weather and Traffic