Fulton man seriously burned after e-cigarette battery explodes

9:32 p.m Tuesday, April 26, 2016 Metro Atlanta / State news
Kyle Petty’s wife, Melody, said her husband was looking at his phone when e-cigarrett batteries in his pocket exploded without warning. (Credit: Channel 2 Action News)

A south Fulton County man was in the hospital Tuesday with serious burns from exploded e-cigarette batteries, family members told Channel 2 Action News.

Kyle Petty’s wife, Melody, said her husband was looking at his phone when the batteries in his pocket exploded without warning.

“He was not even smoking it,” Petty said. “There was no warning. There was nothing getting hot in his pocket.”

She went on, saying nothing at all alerted her husband to the danger.

“Nothing gave him the sense that something was wrong,” she said. “It just exploded. It was like fireworks going off in his pants.”

When she heard her husband scream for help, she thought he was going to die, she told Channel 2.

“When I got to him, he was black, covered in black soot. His hands, his pants leg had been blown off. His leg up from his groin, down to his knee was black and his skin had been pulled back.”

Kyle Petty was being treated for second-and third-degree burns.

Family members and fire officials want others to know that this type of explosion can happen, even though they have not figured out how it’s possible, according to Channel 2.

Chattahoochee Hills fire officials told the television station the vapor batteries were only five and a half months old.

Channel 2 reached out to the Efest battery manufacturer, located in China, but has not received any comment from them about the complaint.