Like many this past snowy Friday night, Tevin Gullatt had gotten off work early.
The 18-year-old was headed home when he stepped on a downed power line in the 1300 block of Northwest Drive, was electrocuted and died, Atlanta police said in a report.
Charles Baker, 51, who witnessed the entire thing, tried warning Gullatt about the active power line.
"I hollered, ‘Please stop. It's a live wire,'” Barker told Channel 2 Action News.
Police found Gullatt facedown with his clothes on fire, according to the report.
Gullatt’s family told Channel 2 they thought their loved one’s death could’ve been avoided.
"It should have been enough time for them to block that street and cut that power off," father Melvin Hutchinson said.
Metro Atlanta received up to 12 inches of snow this past weekend, Channel 2 reported. The winter-like weather left thousands without power.
CRIME & PUBLIC SAFETY: Want more stories like this one? Go to www.myajc.com/crime/
Barker told Channel 2 there was a delay in between the time he called 911 and when authorities arrived.
"I immediately called 911 back. I said, ‘Where are y'all at? This man has been electrocuted. He's on fire,’” Barker said. “They kept asking me, ‘Do I need an ambulance?’ ‘I don't need an ambulance. The man is dead now.”
Police indicated they arrived to the scene about 8:50 p.m., but it is not stated when the first 911 call was made. Fire officials responded the scene and Georgia Power crews arrived to turn the power off to the downed line.
Gullatt was a recent graduate of Frederick Douglass High School and leaves behind his mom and twin brother, Channel 2 reported.
"I miss my son,” Hutchinson told the news station. “That's all I can say. I haven't broke down yet.”
Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.