Gwinnett police find gunman dead after SWAT standoff

Gwinnett police find gunman dead after SWAT standoff

View CaptionHide Caption
Gwinnett County Police Department
A SWAT team found James Burley, 33, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound inside a home in Gwinnett County Monday, police said.
  • Story Highlights
  • Police went to serve James Burley Jr. an arrest warrant and he refused to come out.

A man who barricaded himself inside a Gwinnett County home Monday was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after an hours-long SWAT standoff, police said. 

Authorities were at the Laurel View Drive home in unincorporated Snellville to serve James Burley Jr., 33, an arrest warrant, but he refused to come out, Gwinnett police Cpl. Michele Pihera said.

The neighborhood was blocked off as SWAT officers negotiated with Burley.

Pihera said they had hoped for “a peaceful resolution,” but SWAT members found Burley dead from a gunshot wound just after 6 p.m. 

Police had been at the home since 9 a.m. 

It was the second SWAT situation of the day in metro Atlanta.

A team had a DeKalb County home surrounded for nearly four hours after a gunman barricaded himself inside. Just before 12:30 p.m., footage showed the teen being led away from a home in the 3900 block of Appleton Court in handcuffs.

Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.

In other news:

Weather and Traffic