Powered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Web Search by YAHOO!
 

Updated: 5:17 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 15, 2013 | Posted: 5:16 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 15, 2013

Hendrick: 'They had to do what they did.'

Related

Hendrick: 'They had to do what they did.' photo
Jeff Gordon greets with fans during drivers' introduction before the NASCAR Sprint Cup series auto race at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill., Sunday, Sept. 15, 2013. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

By JIM LITKE

The Associated Press

JOLIET, Ill. —

Rick Hendrick said he'd never seen the NASCAR brass reverse an important ruling during his 30-plus years in the sport.

But NASCAR's most successful team owner found plenty to like in the move, which restored driver Jeff Gordon to the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship after he failed to qualify in last week's scandal-plagued race at Richmond.

"I didn't have to make that decision, but I sure felt like it was obvious that (Gordon) got taken out by a manipulation instead of getting beat," Hendrick said Sunday. "I think the world knew it and they had to do what they did."

NASCAR chairman Brian France made the decision to restore Gordon to the season-ending playoff, announcing it Friday along with a stern warning that the organization wouldn't tolerate any more attempts to manipulate the outcome of races. It came at the end of a frenetic week when NASCAR's credibility was on the line.

Officials were forced to take a second look at the results from last week's race at Richmond once they learned Clint Bowyer deliberately spun to bring out a caution to stop leader Ryan Newman from winning. A win by Newman would have eliminated Martin Truex Jr., Bowyer's teammate at Michael Waltrip Racing, from a Chase berth.

Once officials dug deeper, however, their investigation found at three separate attempts to manipulate the race. NASCAR could not prove the teams were working together, although Gordon wound up being clearly disadvantaged by the schemes, missing the final qualifying spot by one place. Gordon, a four-time champion, wasn't eligible for either of the two wild-card spots. That prompted France to step in.

"There was one team, one driver, who was directly impacted negatively, as Brian said, by all this, and we decided that we were going to do something that was unprecedented," NASCAR President Mike Helton said on ESPN before Sunday's race.

Hendrick said it was the right call.

"It's something you shoot for the whole year. ... We had all four drivers in last year and we wanted to do it this year," Hendrick said. His team had already qualified five-time champion Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne and and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

"Everybody is happy now," he added.

Not quite everybody.

France issued unprecedented penalties earlier in the week, fining Michael Waltrip Racing a total of $300,000 and suspending team general manager Ty Norris indefinitely. Yet cutting deals to help teammates grab points or move up in the standings has been part of NASCAR since its inception. Teams and drivers have been trying to figure out where the line between compeitition and cooperation lies, and Hendrick believes now they have an example to base their decisions on.

"I think it's something that's going to do us all a lot of good," he said.

But Hendrick also acknowledged it took a long, often emotional detour to get there.

"I've never been to the hauler at the end of the race and had any decision reversed," he recalled.

"That is the way it's been for 30-plus years. I was just disgusted and left (Richmond). I didn't hang around. I got out of there as soon as it was over because it wouldn't have done any good."

Copyright The Associated Press

More News

 

Today on MyAJC.com

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Native Americans are said to have created the first scarecrows on these shores to protect their corn crops from the scavenging black birds.

Paul Howard

DA’s spending of federal forfeiture money in question

Finances of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office were in such chaos in recent years that even its most basic bills went unpaid.

Comments  (9)  

myajc logo 300x225

New 24-hour Digital Pass: Sample all of MyAJC.com for 99 cents

With a 24-hour digital pass, you can enjoy full versions of premium articles, news updates and access to the AJC online archives.

Irresistible news

Survey respondents choose coffee over sex and booze

The survey by Le Meridien Hotels & Resorts found that 54 percent of people surveyed around the world said they make their first cup of coffee at home, and 78 percent said that instead of giving up coffee, they would rather give up alcohol, social media and sex with their spouse for a whole year.

Deli worker chases armed robber with a machete

RAW VIDEO: Suffolk County Police are searching for a man who recently attempted to rob a Stop and Shop Deli at gunpoint.

Mexican monster truck wreck kills 8, hurts dozens

Monster truck plows into crowd in Mexico, killing 8

WARNING: Graphic video (above) A tragic ending to a monster truck show in Chihuahua, Mexico Saturday night — at least eight people were killed, including a child and dozens of others were seriously injured.

Three-year-old golfer hits amazing trick shots

Move over Rory Mcllroy, there's a new golfing prodigy in town. Three-year old Michael Patton from Dublin, Ireland, showed he may have the skills to pay the bills in the future by performing some delicate chip shots in his living room.

Latest in news

homecoming

Are schools doing too much for kids and none of it well?

I began working after school as a waitress when I was 13 and continued through graduate school. I realized quickly that restaurants offering limited menus were a better bet than those that tried to be all things to all diners.