Powered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Web Search by YAHOO!
 

Updated: 11:04 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013 | Posted: 11:04 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013

DA: Motorcyclist had key role in NYC SUV brawl

  • comment(1)

Related

Good Samaritan in NYC biker-SUV brawl felt danger photo
This combination of undated images released by the the New York City Police Department shows a man wanted for questioning in regards to an assault on Sept. 29, 2013 where dozens of bikers stopped a Range Rover SUV on a highway, attacked the vehicle, then chased the driver and pulled him from the car after he plowed over a motorcyclist while trying to escape. (AP Photo/New York City Police Department)
Good Samaritan in NYC biker-SUV brawl felt danger photo
The Range Rover involved in the bikers attack is being moved from the police precinct for further police investigation Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 in New York. Last weekend, dozens of bikers stopped the Range Rover SUV on a highway, attacked the vehicle, then chased the driver and pulled him from the car after he plowed over a motorcyclist while trying to escape, police said. The driver, Alexian Lien, needed stitches after being pummeled by the bikers. The motorcyclist who was crushed by the SUV, Edwin Mieses Jr., of Lawrence, Massachusetts, suffered a broken spine and two broken legs and may never walk again, his family said. Robert Sims, 35, of Brooklyn, was arrested on charges of gang assault and weapons possession. Police said he took part in the attack on Lien (AP Photo/David Karp)

By JENNIFER PELTZ

The Associated Press

NEW YORK —

A motorcyclist accused of smashing a window and catalyzing a bloody encounter between a group of bikers and an SUV driver was arraigned Sunday on gang assault and other major charges, which his lawyer said were overblown.

The fourth person arrested so far in a case held up as a highway nightmare, Reginald Chance, 37, was being held on $75,000 cash bail. Prosecutors said he played a key role in the SUV driver's beating, which came after the driver ran over a biker in what the motorist's family said was fear for his life.

While Chance didn't hit or kick the driver, by shattering the SUV's driver's-side window, he "set into motion a chain of events that resulted in the driver being dragged out of his vehicle and beaten" by others, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Samantha Turino said.

Chance's lawyer, Gregory Watts, acknowledged his client broke the window in a burst of anger. The SUV's door had knocked him down earlier in the encounter that went from a Manhattan highway to a neighborhood street, Watts said. Video that captured part of the encounter shows Chance got on his motorcycle after breaking the window and left without hitting SUV driver Alexian Lien or encouraging anyone else to do so, Watts said.

"This is not a man riding around assaulting people with a quote-unquote 'gang,'" Watts said. "We will hotly contest those allegations."

Chance made an obscene gesture toward news cameras during his court appearance. Watts said his client is a married father of six who has been unemployed since a 2011 layoff from a food-service company.

In the Sept. 29 confrontation, a group of motorcyclists crossed paths with Lien, who was out for a drive to celebrate his wedding anniversary with his wife and their toddler. One biker, Christopher Cruz, 28, cut off Lien's Range Rover SUV and slowed down before it bumped his motorcycle's rear tire, police and prosecutors said. Cruz is fighting misdemeanor charges including unlawful imprisonment.

Cruz and other bikers stopped and approached Lien, 33; who drove off, running over biker Edwin "Jay" Mieses Jr. and breaking his spine and both his legs. The motorcyclists pursued Lien off the highway and onto a street, then attacked him when he got stuck in traffic, authorities said. Chance's bike was knocked down along the way when another biker tried to open the SUV's door and it drove on, Watts said.

After the SUV's window was broken, Lien was dragged out, beaten and stomped, needing stitches in his face, authorities said.

Another rider accused of participating in the beating, Robert Sims, 35, of Brooklyn, was arraigned Saturday on charges including gang assault. His lawyer, Luther Williams, said Sims denies the charges.

Prosecutors have declined to charge a fourth man who was arrested, at least for now.

Lien has not been charged with any crime. His family's lawyers declined to comment on Chance's arrest.

Police are investigating whether an undercover police officer at the motorcycle rally witnessed the violent confrontation and didn't immediately report it, a law enforcement official said Saturday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation. Police also are looking into whether any off-duty officers were there.

Meanwhile, a bystander hailed as a hero in the episode gave a public account Sunday of stopping the attack.

Lien was on the ground when bystander Sergio Consuegra stepped in between him and the bikers, Consuegra recalled at a news conference with local officials.

Feeling "intense danger," Consuegra told himself, "Let me not show these people that I'm here to engage in any kind of confrontation but that I'm here to protect the man and the family, so I'm going to keep it cool," he recalled. Consuegra, who's in his 50s, was on his way to church when he saw the encounter.

He spread his arms to shield the driver and told the bikers: "That's it, guys. Let it go. That's it. Let it go," he said. The bikers backed off, and Consuegra called police.

He said he felt he'd done the right thing. But "I do not call myself a hero," he said, "because I wish I could have done more."

___

Associated Press writer Tom McElroy contributed to this report.

___

Follow Jennifer Peltz at http://twitter.com/jennpeltz

Copyright The Associated Press

  • comment(1)

More News

 

Today on MyAJC.com

Hotoberfest kicks off another season of beer festivals

Hotoberfest kicks off season of beer festivals

Looking for something to do this weekend? If you are a beer lover, you might want to check out Hotoberfest 2013 at Historic Fourth Ward Park on North Avenue.

APS superintendent: Close 13 schools

Image hurts, helps in search for new superintendent

The hunt for a new leader of Atlanta Public Schools has picked up steam, with superintendent candidates being targeted from across the country to replace Erroll Davis, who will retire next year.

myajc logo 300x225

New 24-hour Digital Pass: Sample all of MyAJC.com for 99 cents

With a 24-hour digital pass, you can enjoy full versions of premium articles, news updates and access to the AJC online archives.

Irresistible news

Governor compares gay marriage to incest

Pennsylvania Republican Gov. Tom Corbett is in hot water after he compared same-sex marriage to incest in a TV interview.

Comments  (31)  

Tiger mauls employee at animal sanctuary

An Oklahoma woman is recovering after a tiger attacked her at a zoo in Wynnewood about an hour south of Oklahoma City.

Comments  (6)  

AP IMPACT: Families hoard cash 5 yrs after crisis

Families hoard cash 5 yrs after crisis

They speak different languages, live in countries rich and poor, face horrible job markets and healthy ones.

5 achievements that haven't won a Nobel Prize

5 achievements that haven't won a Nobel Prize

The announcements of this year's Nobel Prize winners will start Monday with the medicine award and continue with physics, chemistry, literature, peace and economics.

Latest in news

SAT scores align with family wealth in Georgia.

AJC special report: SAT scores rise with family wealth. A notable exception in state: Norcross High

The AJC education team looked at recently released 2013 SAT scores for metro Atlanta high schools and found something that critics have long said: Scores are closely tied to a factor beyond any student's aptitude: the amount of money their parents have.