Powered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Web Search by YAHOO!
 

Updated: 9:48 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013 | Posted: 9:46 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013

Royal mix-up: UK police order prince to ID himself

  • comment(8)

Related

Royal mix-up: UK police order prince to ID himself photo
A classic car heads past Buckingham Palace on its way to the Concours of Elegance classic car event on the opening morning in London, Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013. The charity event is being held at Marlborough House where up to 60 rare historic cars are coming from around the world with a special Preview Day on Thursday and open to the public on Friday and Saturday. The 2012 event raised in excess of £250,000 ($391,000/296,000 euro) for charity. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)
Royal mix-up: UK police order prince to ID himself photo
FILE - In a May 19, 2013 file photo, Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, honourary Chief of the Games for the 150th Victoria Highland Games Association, shares a laugh as he closes out the weekends events in Victoria. On Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013, two days after an intruder was discovered prowling around Buckingham Palace, police confronted Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence's garden and demanded he identify himself. (AP Photo/The Candian Press, Chad Hipolito, File)
Royal mix-up: UK police order prince to ID himself photo
FILE- In this Wednesday, June 6, 2012 file photo, Britain's Prince Andrew leaves King Edward VII hospital in London after visiting his father Prince Philip . Two days after an intruder was discovered prowling around Buckingham Palace, police confronted Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence's garden and demanded he identify himself. The embarrassing mix-up occurred on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013, following an even more embarrassing security breach Monday, when a suspected burglar was arrested after having scaled the fence around the palace. (AP Photo/Sang Tan, File)

The Associated Press

LONDON —

You might forgive Britain's royal protection unit for being a little jittery.

Two days after an intruder was discovered prowling around Buckingham Palace, police confronted Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence's garden and demanded he identify himself.

London's Metropolitan Police said in an email Sunday that they had apologized to Andrew, also known as the Duke of York, and the royal responded with a touch of humor.

"I am grateful for their apology and look forward to a safe walk in the garden in the future," he said in a statement.

Wednesday's embarrassing mix-up with the duke followed an even more embarrassing security breach Monday, when an intruder was arrested after having scaled the fence around the palace. He and an alleged accomplice were arrested on suspicion of burglary and conspiracy to commit burglary, respectively.

The confrontation between the duke and police was first reported by Britain's Sunday Express tabloid, which reported it under the eye-catching headline: "PRINCE ANDREW HELD AT GUNPOINT."

Although the Met's royal protection officers do sometimes carry weapons, the force denied the paper's assertion that Andrew had guns pointed at him, insisting that no weapons were ever drawn.

In comments to BBC television, former royal protection officer Dai Davies cautioned that, even if the story had been blown out of proportion by the press, the incident "does sound a little unusual."

Copyright The Associated Press

  • comment(8)

More News

 

Today on MyAJC.com

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Native Americans are said to have created the first scarecrows on these shores to protect their corn crops from the scavenging black birds.

Paul Howard

DA’s spending of federal forfeiture money in question

Finances of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office were in such chaos in recent years that even its most basic bills went unpaid.

Comments  (9)  

myajc logo 300x225

New 24-hour Digital Pass: Sample all of MyAJC.com for 99 cents

With a 24-hour digital pass, you can enjoy full versions of premium articles, news updates and access to the AJC online archives.

Irresistible news

Deli worker chases armed robber with a machete

RAW VIDEO: Suffolk County Police are searching for a man who recently attempted to rob a Stop and Shop Deli at gunpoint.

7:45 p.m.  

Oregon bartender gets $17,500 tip

An Oregon bartender just got the tip of a lifetime. One of Aurora Kephart's regulars at Conway's Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield often tips her with Keno tickets from the Oregon Lottery.

Comments  (10)  

NFL Week 6 Odds

NFL Week 6: What are your team's odds?

Will the Seahawks rebound after their first loss of the season? Will the Patriots flex their muscles against the Saints?

Giant pumpkin weighs almost 1500 pounds

A New York man took top honors this weekend -- for growing Long Island's largest pumpkin ever!