Powered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Web Search by YAHOO!
 

Updated: 10:34 a.m. Monday, Sept. 23, 2013 | Posted: 10:33 a.m. Monday, Sept. 23, 2013

Lawyer: Performer Harris to deny UK sex charges

Related

Lawyer: Performer Harris to deny UK sex charges photo
Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris, center, leaves Westminster Magistrate's Court in London, Monday, Sept. 23, 2013. Harris faces nine counts of indecent assault on victims aged 14 and 15 and four counts of making indecent images. Harris, 83, has had musical hits, hosted television shows, painted an official portrait of the queen for her 80th birthday in 2006, and performed at the monarch's Diamond Jubilee concert last year. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)
Lawyer: Performer Harris to deny UK sex charges photo
Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris with his wife Alwen, arrives at Westminster Magistrate's Court in London, Monday, Sept. 23, 2013. Harris faces nine counts of indecent assault on victims aged 14 and 15 and four counts of making indecent images. Harris, 83, has had musical hits, hosted television shows, painted an official portrait of the queen for her 80th birthday in 2006, and performed at the monarch's Diamond Jubilee concert last year. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)
Lawyer: Performer Harris to deny UK sex charges photo
Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris arrives at Westminster Magistrate's Court in London, Monday, Sept. 23, 2013. Harris faces nine counts of indecent assault on victims aged 14 and 15 and four counts of making indecent images. Harris, 83, has had musical hits, hosted television shows, painted an official portrait of the queen for her 80th birthday in 2006, and performed at the monarch's Diamond Jubilee concert last year. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)
Lawyer: Performer Harris to deny UK sex charges photo
A lone protester outside Westminster Magistrates Court holds a placard saying 'Rolf Harris is innocent' prior to the arrival of Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris at the Court in London, Monday, Sept. 23, 2013. Harris faces nine counts of indecent assault on victims aged 14 and 15 and four counts of making indecent images. Harris, 83, has had musical hits, hosted television shows, painted an official portrait of the queen for her 80th birthday in 2006, and performed at the monarch's Diamond Jubilee concert last year. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)

The Associated Press

LONDON —

Veteran entertainer Rolf Harris intends to plead not guilty to indecent assault and child pornography charges, his lawyer told a London court hearing Monday.

The 83-year-old performer faces nine counts of indecent assault on victims aged 14 and 15 and four counts of making indecent images of children. The alleged incidents stretch back to the 1980s.

Harris, who was accompanied by his wife Alwen, spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth during the brief pre-trial hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

Defense lawyer Sonia Woodley said Harris would deny the charges when asked to enter a formal plea at a later hearing.

Australia-born Harris has been a British broadcasting stalwart for decades. He has had musical hits with "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" — which he once performed with The Beatles — and "Two Little Boys."

He also has hosted television shows and painted an official portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.

Harris was released on bail and his next court appearance was set for Oct. 7.

Copyright The Associated Press

More News

 

Today on MyAJC.com

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Botanical Garden’s ‘scarecrows’ are stuffed with silliness

Native Americans are said to have created the first scarecrows on these shores to protect their corn crops from the scavenging black birds.

Paul Howard

DA’s spending of federal forfeiture money in question

Finances of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office were in such chaos in recent years that even its most basic bills went unpaid.

Comments  (9)  

myajc logo 300x225

New 24-hour Digital Pass: Sample all of MyAJC.com for 99 cents

With a 24-hour digital pass, you can enjoy full versions of premium articles, news updates and access to the AJC online archives.

Irresistible news

Deli worker chases armed robber with a machete

RAW VIDEO: Suffolk County Police are searching for a man who recently attempted to rob a Stop and Shop Deli at gunpoint.

7:45 p.m.  

Oregon bartender gets $17,500 tip

An Oregon bartender just got the tip of a lifetime. One of Aurora Kephart's regulars at Conway's Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield often tips her with Keno tickets from the Oregon Lottery.

Comments  (10)  

NFL Week 6 Odds

NFL Week 6: What are your team's odds?

Will the Seahawks rebound after their first loss of the season? Will the Patriots flex their muscles against the Saints?

Giant pumpkin weighs almost 1500 pounds

A New York man took top honors this weekend -- for growing Long Island's largest pumpkin ever!